Sunday, October 9

Point of View

"Men are comic", she said, smiling dreamily. Not knowing whether this indicated praise or blame, I answered noncommittantly: "Quite true."
"Really, my husband's a regular Othello. Sometimes I'm sorry I married him."
I looked helplessly at her. "until you explain--" I began.
"Oh, I forgot that you haven't heard. About three weeks ago, I was walking home with my husband through the square. I had a large black hat on, which suits me awfully well, and my cheeks were quite pink from walking. As we passed under a streetlight, a pale , dark-haired fellow standing nearby glanced at me and suddenly took my husband by his sleeve.
"Would you oblige me with a light," he says. Alexander pulled his arm away, stooped down and quicker than lightning, banged him on the head with a brick. He fell like a log. Awful!"
"Why, what on earth made your husband get jealous all of a sudden?" She shrugged her shoulders. "I told you men are very comic."
Bidding her farewell, I went out, and at the corner came across her husband.
"Hello, old chap," I said. "They tell me you've been breaking people's heads."
He burst out laughing. "So you've talking to my wife. It was jolly lucky that brick came to pat into my hand. Otherwise, just think: I had about fifteen hundred rubles in my pocket, and my wife was wearing her diamond earrings."
"Do you think he wanted to rob you?"
"A man accosts you in a deserted spot, asks for a light, and gets hold of your arm. What more do you want?"
Perplexed, I left him and walked on.
"There's no catching you today," I heard a voice say from behind.
I looked around and saw a friend I hadn't set eyes upon for three weeks.
"Lord!" I exclaimed. "What on earth has happened to you?"
He smiled faintly and asked in turn: "Do you know whether any lunatics have been at large lately? I was attacked by one three weeks ago. I left the hospital only today."
With sudden interest, I asked: "Three weeks ago? Were you sitting in the square?"
"Yes, I was. The most absurd thing. I was sitting in the square, dying for a smoke. No matches! After ten minutes or so, a gentleman passed with some old hag. He was smoking. I go up to him, touch him on the sleeve and ask in my most polite manner: "Can you oblige me with a light?" And what do you think? The mad man stoops down, picks something up, and the next moment I am lying on the ground with a broken head, unconscious. You probably read about it in the newspapers."
I looked at him and asked earnestly: "Do you really believe you met up with a lunatic?"
"I am sure of it."
Anyhow, afterwards I was eagerly digging in old back numbers of the local paper. At last I found what I was looking for: A short note in the accident column.


UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRINK
Yesterday morning, the keepers of the square found on a bench ayoung man whose parents show him to be of good family. He had evidently fallen to the ground while in a state of extreme intoxication, and had broken his head on a nearby brick. The distress of the prodigal's parents is indescribable.


"Point of view" by A. Averchenko in Social Work Processes, 3rd ed., Compton & Galaway, Pg: 302 - 303, The Dorsey Press, Homewood, Illinois, 1984.

No comments: